Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The first post.......

     Well here it is. The first post. I have always wanted to start a blog so I can share the random things that cross my mind on a daily basis and here it is, in all of it's glory. I hope I don't bore any of you to death, and I hope you enjoy reading this from time to time because I am really looking forward to this.
     My wife says I tend to ramble so I will really try not to go on too many tangents while doing this but from time to time it will be unavoidable and I hope you will drudge through it with me as i learn how to do this.
     I will not go into great detail right now about me but as we go forward I will interject a story or two to try to give you a better picture of who I am.
     So random thoughts for now.....social networking. The purpose was to keep people connected in a busy world. Yet I have never seen so many people disconnected. The days of conversations with starngers in public places have all but ceased. All eyes are directed at your personal media device of choice. So much so that there has been an epidemic of people being injured due to them being unaware of there surroundings( open manholes, doors, light poles, other people, oncoming traffic, etc...). I hate to admit that I to have fallen victim to this in a lot of ways. Why visit when you can skype? Why call when you can send a text? Why write when you can e-mail? Why do any of these when you can play angry birds? The next generation appears socially awkward and afraid of personal contact. Not to mention the inability to spell or form proper sentences due to constant usage of text language. There is a place for these things but the shame is that they have almost eradicated the art of gathering and fellowship. We work all day, get in our car to drive home, stop at the gas station and pay at the pump, then to the grocery store where we go through the self service lane and then home where we pull in our garage, close the blinds and turn on our TV and computer, all the while not conversing with any of the inhabitants in our own home.
     I would challenge you today, or in the next few days to go see someone in person. Go inside the gas station and pay. Go to the store and speak to the cashier. Call a friend. Come home and resolve to turn off the TV and computer for the evening, and enjoy people. God made a bunch of us and we're pretty neat if you ask me.
    
  

No comments:

Post a Comment